An organization can have multiple members, with limits on members and pending invitations depending on the organization's tier level. The organization's overview screen displays a list of current members, the
Members screen allows an administrator to perform quick actions such as removing a member or renewing a pending invite, and the
Edit Member screen provides more details on each member. Both the
Edit Member screens are only visible to Administrators. If you're an Administrator, the organization's overview screen will display pending and expired invitations.
There are five levels of default organization membership:
- None: A member with the None role cannot see any of the contents of an organization. They cannot change or modify anything within the organization. This extends to all assets of the organization.
- Viewer: A member with the Viewer role can see the contents of an organization, including all applications and dashboards owned by that organization, but can not change or modify anything about those applications, dashboards, or the organization itself. This extends into any application as well - with the Viewer role, a user can see devices and workflows inside an org-owned application, but will not be able to modify them.
- Collaborator: A member with the Collaborator role can do everything that a member with the Viewer role can do, plus ...
- Modify applications or dashboards owned by the organization
- Create or modify sub-resources within the org-owned application (e.g. devices, workflows)
- Editor: A member with the Editor role can do everything a member with the Collaborator role can do, as well as create new applications or dashboards in that organization.
- Administrator: At all times, an organization is required to have one member with the Administrator role. A member with the Administrator role can do everything a member with the Editor role can do, plus ...
Along with default organization roles, members can be assigned roles on a per application or dashboard basis. These granular permissions act as overrides for the member's assigned default role. The available granular permissions include:
Managing Existing Members
Administrators can view all of the organizations members. Here the user's name, email, and role are displayed as well as any actions available for that member. Here, administrators may remove members - including other administrators - by clicking the
Remove icon in the furthest right table column. This does not delete the user's Losant account; it simply cuts off their access to your organization. Any user removed from an organization can always be re-invited at a later date.
Administrators can change the role of any organization member (other than themselves) from the
Edit Member page. This can be accessed by clicking on the member's email on either the
Organization Overview or the
Members screen. The user's current role is displayed in a drop-down box below their user info. Below this, administrators may also set the member's granular permissions. Here administrators may select an individual application/dashboard as well as a permission that only applies to the selected asset. Simply select a new role for the user and optionally any granular permissions and click the
Update Member button in the footer to complete the changes.
Administrators can also remove any current organization member – including other administrators – by clicking the
Remove Member button in the footer. Then by confirming this action.
Inviting New Members
To invite a new member, click the
Add button at the top right of the table. This can also be done from the
Organization Overview screen. This will navigate you to the
New Member screen. Here simply input the new member's email in the provided box, choose a default permission, and optionally choose any granular permissions to assign. Then, simply click the
Send Invite button in the bottom left to send the invitation.
Pending invitations are limited by the maximum number of members your organization can have. For example, if your organization can have a maximum of five members, and the organization already has three members, you may only have two pending invitations open at any time.
Each of your invitees will receive an email with instructions on how to join your organization. If they do not already have a Losant account, they can create one as part of the invitation acceptance process.
Once a user is invited, administrators may view the details of the invitation from the
Invite Details screen. This can be accessed by clicking on the email of the invitee from either the
Organization Overview or
To revoke a pending invitation, click
Revoke Invitation to the right of the invited user's email and confirm this action. Administrators may also revoke any invitation from the
Members screen by clicking the
Remove icon in the furthest right table column. If you need to change any of the invitee's roles, you will either have to wait for the user to accept the invitation and then change their access, or you will have to revoke the current invitation and send the user a new one.
Any invitation that was not accepted after seven days has expired. Invitations in this state do not count against your new invitation limit. Invitees whose invitation has expired can no longer join your organization, but can always be sent a new invitation (or a renewal).
Renewing Expired Invitations
Any pending or expired invitation can be renewed by clicking the
Renew link on either the
Members screen or the
Individual Invite screen. This resets the timer on the invitation's seven-day expiration timeline, and any expired invitation's link is once again valid.
Leaving an Organization
You may leave an organization at any time by clicking the
Leave Organization button on the organization overview screen, except under the following circumstances:
- You are an Administrator of the organization, AND
- There are no other Administrators for the organization
In those circumstances, you will have to change the permission of an existing organization member to
Administrator, and then you may depart the organization.
Leaving an organization will not cancel your Losant account. No resources will be removed from your Sandbox or any organization you are a member of (including the organization you just left). At any time, a member of your recently departed organization can invite you to re-join the organization. Should you accept the invitation, you will re-enter the organization at the new invitation's permission level.